20140802, European court backs French ban on full-faced veil
Session I: Current Events Discussion
- Please share one of the news or issues that you read about this week. Why were you interested in this particular item?
- What is the significance of this news or issue? Who or what is it about? Was it reported in the media here? How would this affect our daily lives?
- How do you think this news or issue will be viewed 10, 100, 1000 years from now? Has a similar event occurred before in history?
Session II: Article Discussion
1. Have you experienced any sort of restrictions on your appearance? (eg., school uniform, forced to wear make up in workplace.) What are the origins of the restrictions? (eg., law, written rules, moral standard, personal/cultural values) Do you feel comfortable with these restrictions?
2. What are the reasons for Muslim women to wear burqa/niqab/chador?
3. Do you concur with the verdict? Which rationale shown in the judgment given in the link do you consider to be the most convincing?
iEnglish Club Gathering Agenda
14:30-15:20 Session I: Current Events Discussion (Please share news or any topic you care about this week.)
15:20-15:30 Feedback I
15:30-15:40 Regrouping & Break
15:40-16:00 Speaker Session
16:00-17:00 Session II: Article Discussion (Please MUST read weekly article.)
17:00-17:15 Feedback II
17:15-17:30 Closing (Welcome to have dinner with us!)