20130622, Declining birth rate in face of rapidly aging population
Session I: Current Events Discussion
1. Please share one of the news or issues that you read about this week. Why were you interested in this particular item?
2. What is the significance of this news or issue? Who or what is it about? Was it reported in the media here? How would this affect our daily lives?
3. How do you think this news or issue will be viewed 10, 100, 1000 years from now? Has a similar event occurred before in history?
Session II: Article Discussion
4. According to the article and in your opinion, what are some of the reasons resulting in the accelerated aging population and declining birthrate in Taiwan? What does the term “demographic dividend” mean, and when will it end? In your opinion, which countries are gaining in population and which are declining at the present?
5. What problems may occur due to the accelerated aging population and low birthrate in our society? According to the article, what measures should the government implement to reverse the decline? Are you willing to have a baby even under uncertain economic conditions? Is having less people living in Taiwan good or bad, and please share with us your reasons.
6. What measures can the government implement to prepare for the population trends? Has your job or daily life been affected by the trends already, and how so? Should immigration to Taiwan be relaxed to compensate? Why is this a good or bad idea? Besides depending on government support policies, what can one do to ensure a high quality retirement? How are you preparing for it?
Reference TED talk, Hans Rosling: Global population growth, box by box
iEnglish Club 英文讀書會