20140913 The Power of Empathy
Cute video illustration talking about the difference between empathy and sympathy.
Session I: Current Events Discussion
- Please share one of the news or issues that you read about this week. Why were you interested in this particular item?
- What is the significance of this news or issue? Who or what is it about? Was it reported in the media here? How would this affect our daily lives?
- How do you think this news or issue will be viewed 10, 100, 1000 years from now? Has a similar event occurred before in history?
Session II: Article Discussion
1. According to the video clip, what is the difference between empathy and sympathy? What are the effects of empathy/sympathy?
2. What are the key elements for being empathetic? Is it easy for you to put yourself in someone’s shoes?
3. Could you share your experience about being empathized or sympathized? How do you feel? Do you agree with the conclusion that “response” does not make people feel any better, but “connection” does? Please explain.
iEnglish Club Gathering Agenda
14:30-15:20 Session I: Current Events Discussion (Please share news or any topic you care about this week.)
15:20-15:30 Feedback I
15:30-15:40 Regrouping & Break
15:40-16:00 Speaker Session
16:00-17:00 Session II: Article Discussion (Please MUST read weekly article.)
17:00-17:15 Feedback II
17:15-17:30 Closing (Welcome to have dinner with us!)